Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Sign

Last night, we pulled into a little side road and slept in the jeep. We were all too exhausted to drive. Me especially, since even when I'm not driving, I have to stay up front and keep whoever is company. Peter and Natalie have barely spoken to each other since I met them and it makes me wonder what's going on between them. I'd assumed they were a couple but there's an obvious and uncomfortable distance between them, some unspoken argument that neither of them wants to happen but both of them know must.

I had difficulty getting to sleep but once I did, I had what I can only describe as a surreal dream. In my dream, I was looking at Shannon's grave and her body was sprawled out on top of it instead of buried. I tried to reach out to touch her face but something kept stopping me, like there was a limit to how close my arm could come to her corpse. Suddenly, I realised there was something fucked up and started looking around, trying to figure out what it was. Eventually, my sight ran the whole length of my body and I discovered that my feet were buried up to the ankle in the monster's body. It took a minute for it to hit, but then I realised it; I was the monster's arm. I looked up at its filmy face of autopsy flesh and I swear he smiled at me.

When we woke up, it was quite late in the morning and someone had come along with a giant sign and planted it right in front of the jeep without any of us noticing. It looked like it was painted over an old billboard for Life magazine. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there was another note;

"A TALE TOLD BY A HYPOCRITE, FULL OF SOUND AND FURY, SIGNIFYING NOTHING

Tb heyvtx mm xipv, nx hmnksa ssepnrr, jzx hpjr acy mybt e miwvpt, nx xipid qy ptomxpz. Bllb nw tb?"

Someone help me out here. What the hell is with these messages?

7 comments:

  1. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
    ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognised the quote but what's the deal with the codes?

      Delete
    2. no clue, man. set my laptop to go to this google site to try to decode it overnight, not a thing.

      Delete
  2. Could be the key to a cipher... but I've kind of forgotten how those work again... and my go to guy for that sort of thing isn't around. <.<; Sorry ^.^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you use a whole quote as the keyword for a cipher? I thought you could only use single words?

      Delete
    2. maybe its the play or something that's quoted? You think your boy Royal's not quite as dead as he once was?

      Delete
    3. It's possible, I guess. I didn't actually see him die. It could be something do with the plays they're from, but that seems a bit too straightforward.

      Delete